Guidarello lies supine, marble. His visit (to the Pinacoteca), interspersed the path in the eastern districts dedicated to Dante and the remote king of the Goths. Of Theodoric the palace is only in name, but St. Apollinare Nuovo is the church that he, won Odoacre, gave to the city, and the mausoleum seems almost a symbolic summary of the complex character.
Piazza S. Francesco. It is the center of the ‘Dante area’, arranged in the thirties of the twentieth century. St. Francis *. Basilica of the century V, rebuilt in the x, then remodeled and restored from war damage; the Proto-Romanesque bell tower was integrated in 1921. The main altar is formed by the so-called Liberio urn, adorned with reliefs; the crypt, invaded by the waters, is of the sec. IX-X; in the first chapel on the right, decorations by Tullio Lombardo (1525).
Tomb of Dante. * Guest since 1317 by Guido Novello da Polenta, the poet died in the night between 13 and 14 September 1321; the funeral was celebrated in St. Francis and the first burial took place in a sarcophagus placed under a side portico. In the current temple, built by Camillo Morigia (1780), relief by Pietro Lombardo (1483). On the bell tower, the bell of the cities of Italy. Around the adjacent cloister, on the first floor, the Dante Museum).
S. Maria in Porto. Late Renaissance church (1553-1606), with an 18th-century Palladian taste; inside: canvas of the Scarsellino, choir of 1576-93, Greek Madonna *, late-Byzantine marble relief (perhaps XI century), Martyrdom of S. Mauro of Palma the Younger.
Adjacent to the basilica is the former monastery of the Lateran Canons (1496-1508); the facade towards the gardens is made up of the Lombard Loggia *, from the early 1500s; entering via Roma, you can access the cloister * of beautiful Renaissance forms (with permanent exhibition of contemporary mosaics) and the Municipal Art Gallery *. The collection, which is important for the works of the Romagnola school, also includes Tuscan paintings, Emiliani, Venetian sects. XIV-XVII and modern; among other things the Crucifixion and saints * of Lorenzo Monaco; S. Romualdo * del Guercino; Apollo and Dafne * by Cecco Bravo; two Madonnas * by Nicolò Rondinelli and the famous sepulchral statue of Guidarello Guidarelli *, by Tullio Lombardo (1525).
S. Apollinare Nuovo. ** The church was built by Theodoric in 493-496. The cylindrical * bell tower is of the century. IX-X. Before the façade there is a small portico rebuilt in the 16th century with ancient materials. The interior is a basilica with three naves. The walls of the nave are covered with mosaics **.
St. John the Evangelist. * Basilica of the century V restored and restored after the war destruction. A gothic portal precedes it; to the right of the facade rises the bell tower of the century. X (the upper part and the cusp are from the 14th century).
Fortress of Brancaleone. It was built by the Venetians between 1457 and 1470. It consists of two bodies: the real fortress and the citadel. Currently the area, used as a furnished garden, is used for outdoor public performances.
Mausoleum of Theodoric. * It stands isolated with cypress trees in the background, about 2 km northeast of the center. The king had it built shortly after 520. Rare barbaric construction, it has a dome of only one calcareous block (m 1 of thickness, 11 of diameter, the crack probably occurred during installation). Inside, a porphyry basin that had to contain the remains of the king.